UACES invites nominations for people to join the committee from September 2023. We are seeking members to fill the following positions:
- UACES Secretary
- UACES EDI Officer
- 2 x Committee Member
Find out more about each of the positions below. The nominations form is available here.
The UACES Secretary is 1 of 4 officers of UACES. The officers work together to make key decisions about the Association and its activities. The UACES Secretary will be expected to attend 3 committee meetings per year (2 in-person, 1 virtual) and 3 officers' meetings per year (in-person). As well as the general responsibilities to represent and support the Association's work, the Secretary has particular oversight of:
- Staffing - including assisting with recruitment, convening and leading on appraisals, and joining disciplinary panels
- Event Working Group - the Secretary chairs this group which makes decisions about all UACES-run events
- The Annual Conference - including selecting future venues and ensuring the smooth-running of upcoming conferences
The Secretary will also be expected to present to the Annual General Meeting and may, from time to time, be asked to authorise payments from the UACES bank accounts if the Treasurer is unavailable. Due to banking regulations, the UACES Secretary must be based in the UK. The term of office runs from 1 September 2023 to 31 August 2026.
The EDI Officer is 1 of 4 officers of UACES. The officers work together to make key decisions about the Association and its activities. The EDI officer will be expected to attend 3 committee meetings per year (2 in-person, 1 virtual) and 3 officers' meetings per year (in-person). They will also convene 3 meetings of the EDI working group which meets virtually. As well as the general responsibilities to represent and support the Association's work, the EDI Officer has particular oversight of:
- Issues relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- The continual improve of UACES's EDI policy and related policies
- Projects which aim to improve the diversity and inclusivity of the Association and the discipline of European Studies
- Complaints made to UACES with reference to our Code of Conduct and/or Complaints Policy
The EDI Officer will also be expected to present to the Annual General Meeting. Due to banking regulations, the EDI Officer must be based in the UK. The term of office will run from 1 September 2023 to 31 August 2026.
2 x Committee Member
UACES is seeking 2 committee members to join the committee of trustees from 1 September 2023 to 31 August 2026. UACES committee members make a real and lasting impact on the Association by making decisions about how UACES should deliver its charitable aims. Committee members have a say in a large part of the Association's work, from the Annual Conference, to the funding we offer to members, to the relationship between UACES and its journals.
As a member of the UACES Committee, you can make a contribution to the development of the European Studies field, and it would enable you to:
- shape the concerns of the Association as a whole;
- become involved in the organisation of events or activities;
- broaden your network of contacts outside your own Institution.
Committee members are expected to attend 3 meetings per year (on first Fridays in October, February and June). 1 of these meetings will be virtual, the other 2 will be held in London. Please only nominate yourself if you can commit to these meetings.
The term of office is for three years, commencing September each year. If elected, you will also become a Trustee of the Association, which is a registered Charity in England and Wales (No: 1163773).